Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Is Soy Safe?

Is tofu actually good for you? You may be surprised to hear me say that I'm not sure.

As a new vegetarian back in May, I found myself leaning on soy products as an easy way to add protein instead of meat when I wasn't eating fish.  Soy (which is made from soybeans, also known as edamame) is a pure, low-fat protein source. Tofu is cheap, easy to marinate, bake, or slice up, and goes well on salads or stir frys. There are tons of other processed "fake" meats (tofurkey, tempeh, even soy chorizo) that are not so bad (ish), but I generally tried to stay away from that kind of processed food when possible.  I also have believed for some time that I am somewhat lactose intolerant, so I was also drinking soy milk and even having more soy "dairy" products such as soy cheese and yogurt.  All in all, I was eating a lot of soy, but due to the overwhelming buzz that soy is a "health" food, I had no idea that this could be a bad thing.

I noticed in the first couple of months that I was a vegetarian that my moods would swing dramatically once or twice, but I thought that it was just stress or lack of sleep.  Then I also got two canker sores in rapid succession, which I hadn't experienced in years (also usually due to stress or illness), and especially not two so close together.  Because I know my body pretty well at this point, I knew that something was up.  The body's endocrinological system (which regulates metabolism and even mood) can be changed or derailed by what foods you eat and your exercise and sleep cycles.  So I started looking back at my diet and doing research to see what could be the culprit, and I realized that the biggest change in my diet recently has been my soy intake.

To my surprise and chagrin, there has been a lot of chatter (articles and studies) in recent years about soy products and whether or not they should actually be consumed in large amounts (or at all).  Apparently, soy can change your hormonal balance, effecting the estrogen and thyroid levels, according to articles such as these:

Soy and the Thyroid

Soy's Negative Effects (Men's Health)

How Healthy is Soy? (Psychology Today)

Because I already have hypothyroidism (meaning, my thyroid gland under-produces the hormone), this shocked me: soy products can actually cause healthy people's thyroids to malfunction, and can mess up estrogen levels even in men. It can have a toxic effect on hypothyroid patients, and can change menstrual cycles. Soy may even be linked to breast cancer.  It's unclear, however, whether this is due to the genetic modification of soybeans or the overconsumption of soy products (Asian populations, for example, eat 1/3 as many grams of soy per day compared with Americans).

Of course, soy products are still much healthier as far as fat content than meat. So don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that you should stop eating it altogether- I still have soymilk and sometimes edamame. And a lot of the research is still inconclusive, because everyone's hormone balances are different. But I noticed (so far) that when I started limiting my soy intake more that some of my symptoms have subsided.  I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach, and get my thyroid levels checked soon.

In the meantime, there are tons of other ways to get protein, though each of them has pluses and minuses. Here is a breakdown of the good and bad points of protein alternatives:

-Beans and legumes (lentils, chickpeas, black beans, etc.): Great source of protein and nutrients, and doubles as a carbohydrate serving. I often put a 1/2 cup of chickpeas on a salad for a protein/complex carbohydrate serving.

-Nuts, nut butter, nut milks (natural peanut butter, almond milk, etc): Protein as well as "good" fats, but very calorically dense.  I usually buy or make "single" serving baggies of nuts to make sure I don't eat too much (you would be surprised how many calories are in 1/4 cup of nuts or two tablespoons of nut butter- 200-250!).  One of my favorite snacks is an apple with a couple of tablespoons of all natural almond or peanut butter.

-Dairy (low-fat cottage cheese, yogurt, etc):  As I mentioned before, I believe that I am somewhat lactose intolerant (60% of the adult population is, believe it or not), so I try to stay moderate in my consumption of dairy.  The great thing about it, though, is that a single serving (such as 1/2 cup of cottage cheese) can have as much as 15 grams of protein in it.  Greek yogurt is also one of my favorite things to eat, because the probiotics promote gastrointestinal health. I get plain non-fat individual servings, then stir in fruit, a sprinkle of walnuts, and maybe a bit of honey or agave nectar. Presto! A snack with up to 20 grams of protein, a fruit serving, and good fats!

-Eggs and egg whites:  Unlike a lot of people, I'm not afraid of eating real eggs. I think the yolk has some of the most important nutrients, and there have actually been studies that the cholesterol in eggs doesn't cause bad heart health in individuals with a healthy, balanced diet (Egg Nutrition and Heart Disease). Egg whites are obviously lower in fat and calories, and for people at risk for high cholesterol (especially people who eat a lot of fatty meat) it's a better way to go.  What I usually do is crack one egg (6-7 grams of protein!) into a bowl and mix it with egg whites for an omelet or scrambled eggs.

-Whole grains (bread, steel cut oats, etc): Whole grains can have about a half serving of protein in them, if you choose wisely!

-Seitan: made from wheat gluten, this is a somewhat new protein alternative.  I really like it because it takes on the flavor of sauces easily and has more of the texture of meat. Here's a recipe I made recently with Seitan:

Spicy Seitan Fajitas (vegan)

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbs. olive oil
  • 2 large red bell peppers, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced (4 cups)
  • 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (3 cups)
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
  • 2 tsp. agave nectar
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. chipotle chile powder
  • 1 8-oz. pkg. seitan, rinsed, drained, and thinly sliced
  • Whole grain tortillas

Directions

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onions, and cook 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and beginning to brown, stirring often.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together lime juice, cilantro, agave nectar, garlic, cumin, oregano, and chile powder in small bowl.
3. Add seitan to bell pepper mixture, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until seitan begins to brown. Stir in lime juice mixture, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated. Serve with warm tortillas.


I chopped up some tomatoes, avocado and lettuce to serve as a garnish on the side.  I also sometimes make my own green chile by baking whole tomatillos and serrano chiles and then grinding them in the food processor with lime.

In all, there are plenty of ways to get protein without soy and tofu.  Of course, everyone is different, and new research should be taken with a grain of salt. But there has been enough buzz about soy lately that it's worth at least paying attention to soy's effect on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment