Thursday, September 8, 2011

Fighting through Fatigue

I'm now on week 11 of 18 in my schedule, more than halfway through official training for the marathon.  At this point, the normal weekday runs are 5 miles, 8 miles, then another 5 miles, and the longest weekend run so far has been 17 miles, so 35+ miles total.  At this point, I have had to scale back quite a bit on my cross training (usually only once or twice a week), because I have to fit in all the running days as well as try to rest for one day a week.  A couple of weeks ago, when the weekly mileage started to climb above 30, I started feeling very fatigued, especially when I was doing high-intensity workouts on my "off" (that is, non-running) days.  In the past year, I have really been used to running every other day and alternating with cross training, but not running four to five times a week, especially at such high mileages on weekdays.  I wasn't sure if my nutrition or sleeping patterns were more of the issue, but I was starting to get worried about being that tired for the rest of my training. 

One thing that I now know is really important, and which Flash has been hounding me about for many months, is to make sure that you actually give yourself one full rest day a week.  I could get away with not doing that when I wasn't doing the marathon training schedule or even when I was training for the half marathons in the spring. But now it's really crucial to rest and recover, even though I sometimes hate to do it (I feel weird on days when I don't work out). There are several reasons for this: first of all, if you never get enough rest, your muscles won't have time to recover and rebuild (duh).  I usually try to take my day off right before the long run of the week so that I feel pretty rested and not sore on my really long runs. 

Second of all, mental fatigue can be a huge problem, and forcing yourself to take a day off can alleviate some of that.  I have virtually been training non-stop for races (starting with shorter ones and building up to this point) for the past year straight.  I really love to exercise and train, but even the best runners I know, like Flash, sometimes start getting mentally fatigued after so many weeks of intense training.  I am pretty confident most of the time, but even I sometimes have doubts about whether I am capable of all of this.  I have to tell you, there have been several times in the past few weeks when I have had to go to sleep really early on a Friday night (my social life is sometimes nil these days) and just sat there thinking, I have to get up at 5 AM and run for three hours tomorrow morning. Why did I think this was a good idea? What did I get myself into?

But I can tell you, when I have gotten going on those long runs- the 14, 15, 17, etc. milers with Flash and our other running buddy- something has started happening.  It's like I'm tapping into the real endurance runner within me, a whole new level that I didn't even know I had.  I start feeling stronger and stronger as we run, and I hit a really great stride at about mile 8-10 which only builds as we go. It's an incredible feeling. Granted, we are not running at a really fast pace, but that's what you are supposed to do for these long training runs- go about a minute and a half slower per mile than your race pace.  Regardless, in the past week or two I have started feeling like I'm reaching the best running fitness level I have ever been in.  Last week, I was supposed to run 8 miles after work on Wednesday, and I felt so good that I ran 10 miles in my fastest training time ever.  Then only a few days later, I ran 17 miles and didn't even feel that fatigued afterward- I ran errands and helped a friend move for the rest of the day.  I'm discovering that my body is very resilient and can rise to higher challenges than I thought possible. Of course, it helps that I try to treat it really well- as I have mentioned before, I am still not drinking at all, I don't have refined sugars, and I eat lots of wholesome foods.

One more thing that I have noticed, though, is that nowadays I can get pretty hungry ALL day, because I'm just burning so many calories.  In the past five days, for example, I ran 17 on Saturday, swam for 45 minutes on Sunday, ran 6 miles Monday, ran 8 miles really fast on Tuesday, then ran another 8 yesterday.  I was ravenous all day afterward. I'm attempting to eat every few hours so that I don't get TOO hungry and so that my body has enough fuel, and as usual try to get enough protein and good fats.  One thing I recently discovered (curtesy of a friend) is a cool fueling/recovery drink: all natural peanut butter, almond milk, and banana smoothies!!

The only thing I'm worried about now is peaking too early... since the race is still a month and a half away.  Even though I feel really strong now, I guess I can just get better from here! Next up: 20 mile race on September 17.




2 comments:

  1. You are so fierce...I'm so proud of you :) You've inspired me to run my dinky little 5k in the fall, but I never would have wanted to try an actual "race" if it hadn't been for folks like you and Jen! Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much darling!! I'm so glad you've caught the runner's bug!

    ReplyDelete